The History of Chautauqua Bookstore, est. 1907
Chautauquan Daily headline, August 13 1953
During the late 1800’s, in the early days of the Chautauqua Assembly (which later became Chautauqua Institution), books were sold on the grounds by dealers out of tents. The first “Chautauqua Book Store” opened its doors on Palestine Avenue in 1879 as a summer branch of a Buffalo bookdealer. The Chautauqua Bookstore of today began in 1907 as an offshoot of the Chautauqua Press. Within two years, it outgrew its original location in The Arcade, and moved to the Colonnade. Several years later, it moved again, into the Newton Hall Museum. The Chautauqua Bookstore moved to its current location in 1931, as the Museum was set to be torn down to make way for the Smith Memorial Library.
Chautauqua Bookstore & employees circa 1930, before the Bookstore moved from the Museum to the Post Office building.
The Chautauqua Bookstore then found its new home in what had been the Chautauqua Press and Print Shop in the lower level of the Chautauqua Post Office Building, where it has remained ever since.
Chautauqua Bookstore & employees 1979, outside the Bookstore's present location
Chautauqua Bookstore newscounter in the Summer of 1936 and Winter of 2016
Chautauqua Bookstore stacks, year unknown (photo by Harold Wagner) and 2017
images taken from the Chautauquan Daily online archives and Bookstore scrapbook (including photos taken by Harold Wagner and unknown photographers)